Conversion rates measure the percentage of users who take a desired action within your mobile app, such as signing up, making a purchase, or upgrading to a premium plan. By analyzing conversion rates, you can identify areas for improvement and optimize your app's user experience, ultimately driving growth and revenue.
Why Conversion Rates are Important
- User engagement: Higher conversion rates indicate that users are finding value in your app, leading to increased engagement and satisfaction.
- Revenue generation: Optimizing conversion rates can directly impact your app's revenue by encouraging users to make purchases or subscribe to premium plans.
- Growth opportunities: Understanding your app's conversion rates helps you identify opportunities for growth and expansion within your target market.
- Marketing effectiveness: Tracking conversion rates allows you to measure the success of your marketing campaigns and refine your user acquisition strategies.
Top 4 Conversion Rates for Mobile Apps
- Install to Registration: The percentage of users who sign up or create an account after installing your app. This conversion rate is crucial for user onboarding and capturing potential users.
- Registration to Activation: The percentage of users who actively engage with your app after registering. This conversion rate indicates how well your app is retaining users and delivering value.
- Activation to Purchase: The percentage of users who make an in-app purchase or upgrade to a premium plan. This conversion rate demonstrates your app's ability to monetize users and generate revenue.
- Purchase to Retention: The percentage of users who continue to engage with your app after making a purchase. This conversion rate shows how well your app is maintaining user satisfaction and loyalty.
Benchmarks for Conversion Rates
- Install to Registration: Industry benchmarks for install-to-registration conversion rates vary depending on the app category, but a range of 25% to 50% is generally considered good.
- Registration to Activation: A solid benchmark for registration-to-activation conversion rates is around 40% to 60%.
- Activation to Purchase: The average activation-to-purchase conversion rate depends on the app's monetization model and category, but 1% to 5% is a common range for most apps.
- Purchase to Retention: For purchase-to-retention conversion rates, retaining 60% to 75% of paying users is considered strong.
How to Measure Conversion Rates for Your Mobile App
- Define conversion goals: Determine the desired actions that are most important for your app's success. Be specific, such as "completing a tutorial" or "inviting friends to join the app."
- Set up event tracking: Use analytics tools like Firebase or Lumin to track user actions and set up event tracking for each conversion goal, e.g. button clicks, in-app purchases.
- Segment your users: Break down your user base into meaningful segments, such as new users, returning users, or users from different acquisition channels, to analyze conversion rates more effectively.
Strategies for Improving Conversion Rates
- Simplify user onboarding: Streamline the registration process, provide clear instructions, and showcase your app's value proposition. The user should have an AHA-moment before registration.
- A/B testing: Test different variations of your app's UI, content, or marketing campaigns to determine what resonates best with users.
- Remove friction: Identify and eliminate any obstacles or pain points that may be preventing users from completing desired actions.
- Re-engage inactive users: Use push notifications or email campaigns to remind users of your app's value and encourage them to return.
- Monitor user feedback: Collect and analyze user feedback to identify areas for improvement and enhance your app's user experience.